Children At Play
About Children At Play Early Intervention Center
Children At Play Early Intervention Center is a private, not-for-profit agency providing preschool and related services to Intellectual/Developmentally disabled (I/DD) children birth to 5 years since 1989. Children At Play has expanded its programs to include children and adult community services. These services are governed through the Office for People with Developmental Disabilities, most commonly known as waiver services. Adding these services allows Children At Play to fulfill its mission, which is to advocate for individuals with I/DD and help to ensure that they lead a meaningful life.
These services allow individuals to assimilate into the community, learn socialization skills, attend classes that they enjoy and provide relief to their caregivers.
As an agency committed to person-centered planning and self-advocacy, Children At Play also offers support groups and educational workshops, for parents, staff, and siblings to assist them in understanding the needs of the individual and how to put them first.
Vision & Values
Children At Play:
- is committed to forming a strong partnership with parents.
- respects the rights of parents to take a primary role in making those decisions that directly affect the future of children.
- focuses on maximizing the strengths of each child.
- is committed to providing the highest standard of care with the most advanced and innovative therapies and educational programs.
- recognizes that all children, regardless of developmental disability, race, religion, ethnicity or gender, are entitled to educational and theraputic services during early childhood that will allow them to develop their full potential.
- is committed to preparing all children for a smooth transition to the next age appropriate experience that capitalizes on strengths and promotes success.
- is dedicated to identifying and collaborating with community organizations and agencies who share our values of inclusion, acceptance and opportunity for all children.
What, Where, When
What you provide?
1) We provide educational and therapeutic services for children (ages – birth through age 5) in individual, group or pre-school classroom settings. Parent training and family support services are also available.
2) Evaluations to determine eligibility are conducted using standardized testing materials that are recognized by the NYC Early Intervention Program and the NYC Department of Education (CPSE), (CSE).
3) Private evaluations and therapy services are available.
Evaluations are conducted at Children At Play, 40 Merrill Avenue, Staten Island, NY, in the community, or in the home.
The center is open Monday through Friday, 8:15 AM until 4:30 PM. Tuesdays, 8:15 AM until 5:00 PM. Half day pre-school classes are conducted from 8:15 AM to 10:45 AM and full-day classes from 11:00 AM to 4:30 PM. On Tuesdays, full-day classes are from 11:30 AM to 5:00 PM. Home and community services may be provided on weekends and extended weekday hours.
Children at Play is dedicated to keeping your child and your family safe. We created a Safety Plan using the New York State Education Department’s Reopening Guidance document. The goal of our plan is to deliver high-quality educational services as safely as possible, remotely and in person.
Click below to view our Safety Plan document.